How to display all the attributes of an entry?

General Discussion about LDAP Administrator

Moderator: Support

How to display all the attributes of an entry?

Postby esseemme » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Hello, I'm working with ADAM as the LDAP server, and using both LDAP Administrator and AdsiEdit. It would seem that LDAP Administrator displays only a subset of all the attributes that I see with AdsiEdit on objects. Could this be true??? An example of such attributes are allowedAttributes, allowedChildClasses, canonicalName, fromEntry, instanceType. But these are only a few of tens of attributes that I see in AdsiEdit and do not see in LDAP Administrator.

Thanks.

esseemme
esseemme

Postby Support » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:00 am

Unlike ADSI edit, LDAP Administrator displays only attributes that an entry actually contains.

You can add an attribute using "Add Attribute" wizard.
Support

Postby esseemme » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Hello,

could you please clarify your statement? Do you mean that the attributes I see are not really on the object? Most of them do have a value. Where would that value be if not on the specific object?

Thanks.

esseemme
esseemme

Postby Support » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:39 am

Do you mean that the attributes I see are not really on the object?

Yes. ADSI editor displays all attributes: those an entry actually contains and those allowed by schema to be added. LDAP Administrator displays actual content of the entry. Attributes allowed by schema to be added are displayed in the "Add Attribute Wizard".
Support

Postby jangi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:16 pm

I need further clarification on this issue. In ADSIEdit if I look at the properties of a user object and check off "Only show attributes that have values" I see many more attributes listed (with values) then I do in LDAP Browser. These are actual attributes on the object. For example, there is a badPwdCount attribute on users that increments each time someone enters a bad password (and resets to 0 on successful login). I can watch this value increment and reset with ADSIEdit, but it is not even displayed in LDAP Browser.
jangi

Postby jangi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Nevermind! Don't know if this was the problem the original poster had, but here's the solution for anyone else having this issue:

Make sure to bind to the standard LDAP port of 389. Sounds stupid, but I accidently put in the Global Catalog port of 3268 which contains only a subset of the directory. Oops.
jangi

Return to General Discussion