Softerra Admin slow

General Discussion about LDAP Administrator

Moderator: Support

Softerra Admin slow

Postby aci » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am

softerra admin (even older versions) slow down, if you have a lot of configured LDAP-Servers (~20) and if the Softerra user profile grows.

It seems like it is caching the schema data of all ldap servers and as if this file cache really slows down the tool, if the cache grows.
Because when exporting the server config, closing softerra, deleting everything in c:\users\....LDAP Administrator x\, restarting softerra, reimporting the server configuration, its fast again for a short time, until a few days later (when probably the schema cache has regrown again).

Also: There seems to be a background function that insists on loading the schema first, every time you open an LDAP server.
This seems to happen once the first time you open an ldapserver after having softerra started.
If the cache file has grown large and if you have a lot of configured ldap servers, this schema preloading takes forever (30-60 seconds). Most of the time I don't need to look in the schema, so it is loading the schema without need, requiring me to wait until it lets me search for entries.

Features I'd highly be interested:
- Please rework the global schema file cache handling, such that the cache doesn't slow down opening entries, when the cache grows large
- Please create an global option to flush the schema cache files (so I don't have to delete the whole profile files)
- Please create an option on each ldap server configuration to disable schema caching completely for this server
- Please create an option to disable schema preloading on each ldap server configuration, when first opening this ldap server (I am fine to load the schema (and wait for it) later on when I actually need to look inside the schema). I don't want to wait for the schema loading, when opening any ldap server
- When displaying the "Loading schema..." info box, please add some progress information like > loading entry "89", in progress... <
- please load the schema completely in the background, without forcing me to wait
- dont actively load the schema, when opening the "Schema viewer...", just load schema from cache first and display a button "Reload schema from server"
- when displaying the "Schema viewer....", show a timestamp of the time when the schema was loaded last time, so you know how old the cached schema data is
aci

Re: Softerra Admin slow

Postby Support » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions, we'll discuss them.

Please specify the versions of LDAP Administrator you are experiencing the slow down with. We are trying to reproduce the issue in our test environment, but without success.

In order to clear the schema cache you don't need to remove all the application settings. Schema cache is stored in schemacache.stg file, while profiles settings in metabase.stg.

LDAP Administrator relies on schema not only in Schema Viewer dialog, but practically in every part of the application. Thus it is not possible to work without schema, however if the schema is not available for a particular server, the default is used instead.

Regards.
Support

Postby keesor » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

We are having the exact same issue. When you right-click on a profile, and then click "Directory Search" it takes over 60 seconds for the search dialog box to come up. I have 42 profiles defined in LDAP Administrator version 2011.2. We have an Unlimited Site License, Annual Upgrade Protection and Priority Annual Support. Should I open a support ticket about this issue?

Thank you,

Matt Keesor
LDAP Administrator
US Treasury
Bureau of the Public Debt
keesor

Postby Support » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello,

We've managed to reproduce the slow down, and fixed it. This fix will be available in two weeks time in service packs for the latest version (2011.2) and two versions before (2011.1, 2010.2).

If you'd like to get the fix ASAP or for pre-2010.2 versions, please contact us directly at support@ldapadministrator.com.
Support

Postby keesor » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Is there an update on this issue? Is this fixed in the latest release 4.7.11522.0?

Thanks
keesor

Postby Support » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am

keesor wrote:Is there an update on this issue? Is this fixed in the latest release 4.7.11522.0?

Yes, this issue has been fixed in the new LDAP Administrator 2012.1 (build 4.7.11522) and in the latest builds
of LDAP Administrator 2011.2 (build 4.6.11515), LDAP Administrator 2011.1 (build 4.5.11515),
LDAP Administrator 2010.2 (build 4.4.11515).
Support

Postby keesor » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm

It definitely seems much better! Thank you!
keesor

Postby aci » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Support wrote:If you'd like to get the fix ASAP or for pre-2010.2 versions, please contact us directly at support@ldapadministrator.com.

A collegue tried that for 2009-01, the answer was unfortunately: "older versions are not supported by technical issues."
aci

Return to General Discussion