Extract Question

General Discussion about LDAP Administrator

Moderator: Support

Extract Question

Postby jace » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:25 pm

When I run an extract (either via the GUI or laimex), the list of attributes I specify is always extracted in a different order to the output file. Is there an option that I'm missing that woluld keep the order I specify?

Thanks!

---jason
jace

Postby Support » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:11 am

Do you mean to say that two identical exports produces different results in trems of attributes order?
Support

Postby jace » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:19 pm

No, two identical extracts will return with the same attribute order as each other.

My issue is that I feed laimex these attributes to be exported (in this order):

sn,givenname,employeenumber,uid,notesid,personid,mail,telephonenumber,division,businessfunction,orgdirect,title,mailcode,photodisplay,persontype,location

...and they are in this order in the resulting extract:

DN,employeenumber,givenname,businessfunction,division,location,mailcode,personid,persontype,photodisplay,mail,notesid,sn,telephonenumber,title,uid,orgdirect

I'm basically looking for the attributes to be in the extact order I specify.

---jason
jace

Postby Support » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:12 am

Jason,

It seems to be a bug. We'll investigate the issue and will do our best to include the fix to the next minor release.

Thanks you for report.
Support

Postby jace » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Another issue we seem to run in to regarding extracts is that the extract tool will exclude an attribute in a extract if no entries contain values in that attribute. That is to say, the attribute exists in the schema and is valid, it's just none of the entries filtered have a value in that attribute.

Is there a way to include that attribute in an extract even if the it's basically blank for all entries?

Thanks!
jace

Postby Support » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Could you please provide an small example of this issue? What export format do you use?
Support

Postby jace » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 pm

The format we've typically been using is CSV (or sometimes "|" for the delimter) generated via the laimex comand line executable or the "Export Data..." GUI interface.

For example I specify the attributes X, Y, Z be exported in my extract. When I look at the extract, I see entries with: X,Z. The attribute Y exists in the schema and is valid, it's just that none of the entries pulled in the extract had a value set for Y (the value was empty), so it was dropped from the extract. What I would prefer to see is a placeholder for that empty attribute in the extract even if no entries pulled had a value set for that attribute.

So, for example, I specify certain search filters and request that the "givenname, initial, sn" attributes be included in the extract. Three entries are returned. None of the three entries had a value set for "initial", which is a valid schema attribute. What I want to see in my extract is:

(givenname,initial,sn)
Jeff,,Jones
Suzy,,Smith
Bob,,Green

-NOT-

(givenname,sn)
Jeff,Jones
Suzy,Smith
Bob,Green

Even though none of the entries had a value for "initial" I don't want it dropped from the resulting extract, which is what appears to be be happening now. I still need it included.

As an aside, if one entry *did* have a value set for "initial", I'd currently get:

(givenname,initial,sn)
Jeff,A,Jones
Suzy,,Smith
Bob,,Green.

What I'm talking about is when none of the return entries have a value defined.

Hope this helps.
jace

Return to General Discussion