multi-document interface + improve browse and search

Suggestions, wishes, feedbacks

Moderator: Support

multi-document interface + improve browse and search

Postby aci » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Several improvement suggestions:

Non-modal Multi-Document-Interface for search and browse:
- Possibility to switch between browse window(s) and search dialog(s) without closing search
- Possibility to open multiple search dialogs
- Possibility to open multiple browse windows
- optional: tabbed view as in firefox webbrowser

LDAP Browser:
- change Window title to name of server currently browsing (as in search dialog)
- remember last used sort column and keep sorting by default
- implement a line break for very long attributes
* in the right frame of the browser (the best would be, to be able to toggle this line break feature on/off by a toolbar button). i know this could be done with the html view, but then i would need to create a template first for new class/attributes, which takes some time
* in the yellow balloon box (if mouse is been moved over a very long attribute value)
* in the properties window of an attribute
- it should be possible to disable drag and drop completely

Search dialog:
- ability to use a different sizelimit for a search without changing the server profile (usually its better to have a smaller sizelimit for browsing and a larger one for searching)
- ability to sort by columns ascending/descending, as in browse window
- line break for the yellow balloon box for long attribute values

Schema viewer:
- instead of "search" a feature similar to the index tab of help windows (as in softerra administrator 3.0 help), that imediately jumps to the next matching attribute while typing
- text+tab stype export to clipboard or textfile of the content in the right frame
- objectclasses should be expandable to show the attributes of that objectlass in a tree-like view inside the left frame

Suggestion to the forum: maybe you could remove the forum posts for suggestions, that are already implemented or mark them e.g. with "done", "rejected", "deferred" at the beginning of the subject
aci

Postby Support » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:03 pm

Possibility to switch between browse window(s) and search dialog(s) without closing search

Addressed to 3.2

Possibility to open multiple search dialogs

Under consideration.

- Possibility to open multiple browse windows
- optional: tabbed view as in firefox webbrowser

Unfortunately our current engine does not allow this. Staring with version 3.0 you can run as many instances as you need.

change Window title to name of server currently browsing (as in search dialog)

Addressed to 3.2

remember last used sort column and keep sorting by default

Already implemented since 3.0. Take a look at the "List View Pane" toolbar.

mplement a line break for very long attributes

Under consideration.

it should be possible to disable drag and drop completely

Addressed to 3.2

- ability to use a different sizelimit for a search without changing the server profile (usually its better to have a smaller sizelimit for browsing and a larger one for searching)
- ability to sort by columns ascending/descending, as in browse window

Addressed to 3.2

- line break for the yellow balloon box for long attribute values

Under consideration.

instead of "search" a feature similar to the index tab of help windows (as in softerra administrator 3.0 help), that imediately jumps to the next matching attribute while typing

Addressed to 3.2

text+tab stype export to clipboard

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C already implemented and will be introduced in 3.1

- objectclasses should be expandable to show the attributes of that objectlass in a tree-like view inside the left frame

Please explain this. Why tree view?
Support

Postby aci » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:26 pm

Please explain this. Why tree view?

Yeah, I could have described that better :D
What I meant was to easily switch from an objectclass to the included attributes and from the attribute to the properties of that attribute, without having to search twice by hand 1) in the objectclass list 2) in the attributelist.
So in the listing of objectclasses maybe you could expand the list in the left frame to fade in the attribute list (as in a tree view), then I could click on the faded-in attribute to display the attribute properties on the right frame.

Trying to visualize the idea for the left frame:
(+) Objectclass 1
. . . . Attribute 1
. . . . Attribute 2
(-) Objectclass 2
(-) Objectclass 3

Oh, and I almost forgot: Please make the schema viewer windows resizable and non-modal, so I cna leave it open and switch back to the browse window.
aci

Return to Suggestions