SSL works for Softerra Administrator but not Softerra Browser 2.6

General Discussion about LDAP Administrator

Moderator: Support

SSL works for Softerra Administrator but not Softerra Browser 2.6

Postby needhamj » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:52 pm

I'm was attempting to evaluate LDAP Browser 2.6. I have LDAP Administrator 3.0 on the same machine. I am connecting to a remote iPlanet LDAP using SSL.

I have created an identical profile to that in the Administrator product with SSL enabled, but the Browser always reports a code 81. I am using the same login and therefore the same certificates etc which I have confirmed are working as I can connect using LDAP Administrator residing on the same server and connecting to the same LDAP.

LDAP browser claims to support SSL, but when clicking the "Try to use secure connection" in the server properties, the URL on the General tap still displays ldap://xxx:636 instead of ldaps://xxx:636 and it is the same for the window title. Therefore I'm not sure if is actually trying to create an SSL connection at all, or whether these are just display bugs?
needhamj

Postby Support » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:14 am

LDAP Browser 2.X and LDAP Administrator 3.X use different underlying LDAP API libraries. LDAP Administrator 3.X accepts server certificates transparently whereas LDAP Browser 2.X needs a special procedure [1] to proper setup SSL connection support.

[1] http://ldapadministrator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15
Support

Error 91 with LDAP Browser 2.6

Postby rsetterlund » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm

I followed the work around where I moved the certificate database files from the Mozilla installation directory to the installation directory for LDAP Browser. But I am still getting and error "[Error 91]: Can't connect to the LDAP server". In the Mozilla directory there were a cert8.db and key3.db files. I moved them to the LDAP Browser directory. I renamed cert8.db to cert7.db but this did not fix the problem. The browser works if I do not use SSL. How do I fix this problem?
rsetterlund

Postby rsetterlund » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 pm

As a follow up. I found the "Try using SSL" check box. I selected it and now I am getting the standard Error 81 message. It is trying to initialize my SSL client and failing.
rsetterlund

Postby Support » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:35 am

Note that you should use old 4.X Netscape browser. Your should get cert7.db. Newer Mozilla browsers create cert8.db, that could not be used with LDAP Browser.
Support

Postby yallow » Fri May 05, 2006 7:53 am

Hello,

We are using MS Active Directory.

https://yourserver:sslport/ is unreachable.
I think that the reason is IIS is not installed on our Domain Controllers.

Is it possible to import certificates into cert7.db another way?

Thank you for assistance.
yallow

Postby Support » Mon May 08, 2006 10:05 am

IIS has nothing to do with the issue. The problem could be that SSL infrastructure is not installed on you domain controller and therefore LDAP server does not listen on port 636.
Support

AD+SSL

Postby mahesh » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:06 pm

You'll need to have the High Encryption Pack installed if not already.

Start → Settings → Add Remove/Programs → Add/Remove Windows Components → Certificate Services

I installed Enterprise root CA N=mahesh(NetBiosName),DC=fsldap,DC=com

I am unable to connect ldap browser on 636 to my ad server.Please let me know is there any way to enable ssl connection in AD?
mahesh

Return to General Discussion